Forums > unstoppable copier hangs?Search  Log In
AuthorMessage
Motorcycle Boy
Posted: 8 Feb 2011
Hi,
I'm trying unstoppable copier (most recent version) on XP to retrieve pictures from some troublesome dvd's my sister in law gave me. Most pictures are no problem, but sometimes the copier, well, kinda "hangs" on some files. In Task Manager I can see the system cache rising and rising and rising and ... while in the mean time nothing happens at all. Even clicking on "skip" doesn't help much. Even starting another application is a problem. Only after a few minutes the application comes into life. Any idea if this is normal? I thought the unstoppable copier would skip much quicker. For info : I put the settings on "fastest recovery".
pdajunkee

Ontario, Canada
Posted: 24 Feb 2011
I ran into a similar issue. With the default settings I let Unstoppable copier run overnight to recover an old DVD with family movies on it. It ran through the first large .VOB files without any issues but then hung on one of the .VOB files and worked on it for 6+ hours. CPU was 0% in task manager and it didn't sound like the DVD drive was running anymore.

Started it up again this morning, set max retries to 3 and set the option to start with undamaged files first. Copied all of the good VOB files but now is working on the damaged ones and has slowed right down (but this time I can hear the DVD drive is still working).

My system is a Dell Latitude E4300 Notebook running Windows 7 (SP1) 64-bit.

BTW - still love the software you provided, without it I wouldn't have gotten any files off this old DVD! Thank you!
Roadkil
South Australia
Posted: 2 Mar 2011
This is a problem caused by some devices and their interfaces if they encounter an error. An easy example is one of my old DVD drives and my latest one. My old one when it encountered a scratched disk would just error out straight away - unstoppable copier would fly through no problems. However, the later drive with is smart *cough* sits there and holds up the computer for AGES while it attempts to re-read the data before erroring out. This functionality is whats causing your hang ups. On hard disk drives this should be a much quicker to time out - on some DVD drives it takes forever.

Unfortunatley theres nothign really unstoppable copier and my other apps can do about this - if the hardware wants to be a pain, its going to be a pain!
werty89

Greece
Posted: 5 Jun 2013
Hello. I have a similar problem but in a hard drive with many bad sectors. these are my settings.
http://i125.photobucket.com/albums/p66/werty21202/roadkil.png

It keeps hanging on certain files. I want the program to just copy every file that is "easily accesible" and just skip every file it finds difficult to read. maybe using a threshold in the read/transfer speed (eg. skip if speed<100kB/s). Is that possible? Thanks for this great program!

Click for larger image

werty89

Greece
Posted: 5 Jun 2013
i think this user here says pretty much the same thing.
http://forums.roadkil.net/forums.php?ID=1030
Roadkil
South Australia
Posted: 12 Feb 2014
Hello all! thanks for the bug report! This issue is caused by the hardware itself attempting to re-read the data and having issues which unfortunatley holds up Unstoppable copier. Ill see if i can put in a fix in teh next version!

Cheers
m

Posted: 21 Sep 2014
For me, stop copy and crashed / HANG every time and only "hard computer restarts"
It clusters of damaged or corrupted files.
How to Helped copy? launch with an advanced program of Hiren'sBootCD
Does not work in Windows mode or safe because ALWAYS the program results in suspension of the Windows graphical mode or Explorer.EXE
Rich
Spokane WA
Posted: 9 Feb 2015
It sure would be nice if you fixed this. I downloaded Unstoppable Copier because the USB Western Digital Harddrive I have hangs most programs when some corrupted sectors are read. It would be really nice if this program timed out when a sector was bad and replaced that sector with zeroes and then continued the copying.
Henke
Sweden
Posted: 17 Jun 2015
Hello! Any chance this will be fixed in the next version?
Roadkil
South Australia
Posted: 20 Jun 2015
Ill do my best to put in something to get around this issue on the next version. Im mostly finished the Windows 6.0 version but want to release a Linux and Mac version as well. Hopefully ill get some time away from work in the next month to finish it off!

Page: 1

You must log in to reply to messages
Please log on
User Name:
Password:
Forgotten your password? Click here